6.24.2008

Extra Extra

I'm not sure whether it says more about me, or the film, that I liked Lars and the Real Girl less after watching the cutesy five minute DVD extra where cast and crew are interviewed about Bianca (the titular character who isn't Lars) and pretend that she's actually real (and rather demanding). The Whimsy is almost redeemed by Ryan Gosling's offhand reference to Bianca's appearance (she's supposed to be Brazilian, remember) in a Walter Salles film.

My favorite non-straightforward DVD extra of all time probably remains the bizarre video diary from Magnolia where director Paul Thomas Anderson plays...director Paul Thomas Anderson, and his then-girlfriend Fiona Apple plays...Magnolia, more or less. I loved this so much that I transcribed it, back before YouTube made it available to all.

Just hide in the closet with all your length and your frogs!

Labels: